View Single Post
Old August 9, 2006   #4
JabulaZa
Tomatovillian™

It was all hyped up in a marketing frenzy over this corner of the globe a couple of years back, all a branding campaign according to me. A cross of some kind found in a garden somewhere that this person(s) made into a stunning looking good tasting bottled product. Later came a sauce (not so great) and other products with the brand name.
The seeds where never released commercially and the plants are still grown on a contract basis only (with one of the conditions not to release any seeds or plants to any one ).

As for seeds I'll have to check at one of our local farmers markets, there is a lady that might have some seeds. Don't know if it will be the true peppadew. (As is a registered trade mark in SA associated with products made of the pepper.)

I've tasted most of the products at other people but haven't bought any it myself yet. A pepper with the name of cherry bomb have the looks and size to be the real mccoy but might be a bit on the hot side (Except if they turned of the heat while processing them to grab more peoples taste buds.)
I think a major part would be to try similar recipes with sweet piquant peppers.