Thread: Organic Convert
View Single Post
Old January 16, 2012   #12
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

It may be helpful to give some quantities or measurements.

Shannon is starting with garden beds that sound like they may not have much organic matter. I'm thinking 1 inch of leaf mold compost, 1 inch of peat moss, and 1 - 1 1/2 inches of composted manure (or sheep/alpaca which doesn't need to be composted) gently turned into the top layer of soil would provide a good kickstart.

Is that too much? Not enough? I wonder if an earthworm test would provide some guidance?

I usually try to add about 1 inch of compost and 1 inch of composted cow manure per year to each of my beds. Also, I try to add 1-2 inches of shredded leaves into the top layer of soil. I know you don't want too many leaves or they will mat down and start to smell.

It's worth pointing out I have found tomatoes and peppers were perfectly happy with 30% compost and 70% other materials, while melons really preferred 50% compost.

Thoughts?

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote