View Single Post
Old August 26, 2022   #6
agee12
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtvvvv View Post
the little label stakes in all the planter showed a picture of a "normal" green cuke
like you get at the store. if these are"over ripe" they never hit ripe at all.
also never were they green or long. they started as yellow spheres and just got bigger till they are as you see them. another thing i noticed was (and i dont know if this is normal or not) the plant itself just died all at once and virtually disappeared overnight. this happened in two different locations one in the ground and another in a large pot
Yellow spheres sound like the lemon cucumber variety - the cuke at 9:00 fits that bill especially if it was yellow at an earlier stage. There are other yellow and pale cucumber varieties like Boothby Blonde, Apple and Dragon Egg, https://www.gardeningchores.com/types-of-cucumbers/ .

Like others have said they look like overripe cucumbers and you were thrown off by them not being green. It's a shame that the plant went kaput before you were able to harvest a cucumber at it's peak. I personally fresh eat overripe cucumbers, the overripes, flesh and seeds, tend to be tougher but I still like them. Some of my gardening friends mention that they are good candidates for homemade relish - either canned or refrigerator.
agee12 is offline   Reply With Quote