View Single Post
Old March 13, 2013   #9
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Don't give up on the seed starting, Deborah!

It's probably just some little glitch, but once we figure out what it is, you will be able to grow any variety you like! (You notice I said WE. If you let this group know exactly what you did, you'll have the problem analyzed pretty quickly. Most of us can't help it! We're obsessed!)

A couple of things that have helped me start tomato seeds.

1) Plant a couple extra.

2) Try starting them on a wet paper towel tucked in a plastic baggy. Then stick it somewhere that is slightly warm, like the top of the fridge or computer monitor. Just be sure to check it every couple of days, because you want to transfer it to the soil when you see the root unfolding.

3) I don't recommend those little peat disks. Others have apparently had success, but I never do quite as well with them. The moisture is harder to regulate. Seed starting mix, DE (there's a thread about that), or even a good potting soil have all done better for me.

4) As others have said, don't plant them deep. They really just need enough soil to cover them and keep them from drying out. (No more than 1/4 inch)

5) Store them in a cool place so that they will be good for a few years. It doesn't have to be cold like a fridge, just don't put them in a hot place.

That's all I can thing of right now. Maybe one of those will help.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote