View Single Post
Old May 5, 2021   #36
CrazyAboutOrchids
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
Hi-
I might give these a try if I can find them locally. At their web site, I find "Happy Frog" potting soil (brown bag) and "Ocean Forest" (light blue bag) potting soil. These are the ones you use (for tomatoes)? Thanks.

Yes, I use the Happy Frog for seed germination. Fox Farms has a seed germination formula which I tried one year, just felt it was lacking. For me, Happy Frog is a far better medium for germination. I seed into 1 x 1 x 2 trays - not a fan of jiffy pots - these I can reuse. I pot up into a small red solo cup (think they are about 8 oz) with Happy Frog, but I plant low in the cup. Once I get a set of true leaves, as the little plant grows, I add in Happy Frog. Once the plant is up and growing and a bit root bound in that cup, I pot up into a 3 x 3 using Ocean Forest. I do plant deep when I pot up. I watch the seedlings, you can tell when they are looking for more nutrients - I suppose I could pot up initially into Ocean Forest, but it is considered 'hot' due to the nutrients.

I grow in my basement under lights and run a fan on low and fertilize with Urban Farms Vegie fertilizer until I have fruit set outdoors. My plants are used to cooler than optimal conditions and 'wind'. I end up with plants that really don't suffer much during the hardening off process. I start early, as early as I can when temps start going above 50. Even a few hours outdoors is good for them. I do not have my seedlings outside during rain - ever. I think because of the coolness of the basement, they grow a bit slower, I have nice stocky stems on my plants. They are typically bursting when ready to plant out, flowering, early tomatoes started which I might or might not lose during plant out. I use tunnels when I plant out and always push my planting dates but do wait until evening temps are above 50. A few nights a degree or two under won't affect them, especially in the tunnels. I prefer to plant when I have a cloudy day or two in the forecast. I use a dip with Biota Max, Actinovate and Mycogrow Soluble when planting out with a tbsp of epsom salts in my planting hole.

More info than you asked for...
CrazyAboutOrchids is offline   Reply With Quote