View Single Post
Old December 25, 2014   #30
denno70
Tomatovillian™

Default My experience with Septoria, or whatever it is..

I grew some nice tomatoes a few years back, and then had two seasons where the tomato season was interrupted by one of these blight type diseases. I did another soil test in 2009, using three locations in my garden. To my surprise the phosphate levels had dropped below the acceptable levels, and I had tested only three years earlier. I had some idea that using as much compost, worm poop and other organic things would take care of the NPK levels. Apparently, they do help the nitrogen and potash need, but not much for the phosphate, according to the soil test results. In 2010, I started using 10-10-10 along with the compost and I could see a turn around for that season. Then in 2011 I decided to really experiment and used some super-phosphate along with the 10-10-10, and the results really blew me away. I only used the super-phosphate(0-45-0) on selected items, like my heirloom tomatoes and sweet potatoes. The tomatoes grew as they should, producing well into late August, and of great size and flavor.
The sweet potatoes really reacted with the biggest potato coming in at 5.5 pounds! Since then I have done well with most of the garden, using the regular fertilizer, and selectively using the super-phosphate. The thing I learned is if you go back to the basics of having your soil balanced, the plants will overcome many of these diseases, which will return if I don't supply the necessary ingredients.
denno70 is offline   Reply With Quote