View Single Post
Old April 21, 2017   #11
shule1

I've grown and tasted the following:

* Green Giant (2016; also growing it this year; very juicy with a rich, excellent taste; not at all yellow when ripe; it looks awesome sliced in half)
* Green Zebra (2015; I didn't taste enough of these to get a good impression; they were decent, but not how people described them)
* Cherokee Green Pear (2016; one with BER tasted totally awesome, fruity and very sweet; the others were less flavorful and less sweet, but decent)
* Green Pear (2016; growing it this year, too; tastes like a good sandwich tomato; good quality flesh; not really a wow taste, but combined with the texture, it's pretty nice)

I'm growing Evergreen, this year, too.

From what I hear, it sounds like people generally favor varieties like Aunt Ruby's German Green, Grubb's Mystery Green, Cherokee Lime, Humph, and probably Malakhitovaya Shkatulka and Cherokee Green. I favor Green Giant (and I know at least a few others do, too), but I haven't tried any of the former, yet. I'm not sure if Cherokee Green tastes like Cherokee Green Pear.

My first reaction was with Green Giant, I believe. I was a little surprised that it tasted very much like a tomato, but it was unusually good and juicy. My mom thought it was sweet and was surprised it wasn't sour. My neighbor was surprised that it didn't need salt.

My general analysis is that they taste like red tomatoes with chlorophyll instead of lycopene. I think it's more of a nutritional difference than a taste one, but I can seem to taste/feel a difference. Every green when ripe tomato variety I've tried tasted completely different. None of them were acidic.

I like the taste of GWR tomatoes as much as red, pink, and brown tomatoes. Those are my favorite colors for taste, so far, perhaps.

Green Giant is in my top four favorites for flavor out of all the tomatoes I've tried (not just GWR), but it probably ranks number two. The other three are Early Girl F1, Pruden's Purple and McGee. Jackie, Cherokee Green Pear, Gardener's Delight, Husky Cherry Red F2, Ron's Carbon Copy, Medovaya Kaplya, Early Girl F2, Ovita, Pink Cheeks, Chapman, Paul Robeson, Chocolate Pear, my tomato that was supposed to be Jim Dandy, Peaceful Valley's Beefsteak (cooked), Matina, Husky Cherry Red F3, Market Wonder, Green Pear, and Big Sungold Select all deserve at least honorable mentions, though (in no particular order). There are several others I like a lot (but not just for flavor).

Last edited by shule1; April 21, 2017 at 04:48 AM.