View Single Post
Old September 7, 2011   #13
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by matereater View Post
"So hopefully some of you reading here can find those threads so it isn't necessary to reinvent the wheel, as it were, with yet another thread on the same topic when some already exist and are pretty darn detailed. "

Carolyn, I wasn't trying to reinvent the wheel so to speak. I was attempting to find out how others EXTRACT the seeds from the toms to then process. It seems to always be a pretty messy process and was hoping to find a better way.

thanks all for your replies!!
Sorry, but when I read seed extraction I just assumed that processing was part of the picture and I guess I wasn't the only one who thought the same.

As for seed extraction itself, I just take several fruits of the same variety at one time and one by one grasp them with both hands, split apart the fruits and then with my thumbs sqeeze out the seeds and juice being sure to run my thumbs along the inside borders of the fruits and the inner septa that separate the seed locules where the seeds hang out.

And I do that in the sink with a one pint clear deli container that's been prelabelled. Before I fell I'd do all of that outside with a one pint deli container sitting in a large buket where I'd throw the gutted fruits and when the bucket got near the top I threw out the contents.

Always remembering to wash my hands thoroughly between processing of different varieties.

If there isn't enough juice I add a bit of water.

And then we get into the part you hadn't asked about.