View Single Post
Old September 19, 2006   #4
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Jeff,

Your posts about the Irish Cobbler allow me to gather some "Off the wall" info on this variety. I wanted to pursue the Hokkaido connection a bit more, therefore, I found a wealth of data that blew me away.

Irish Cobblers popularity in Japan corresponds to the United States “Russet Burbank”.

Even though potatoes were introduced by the Dutch into Japan during the early 1600’s, it wasn’t until the late 1800’s that any real production started. That is about the time the Irish Cobbler was introduced into Japan. Hokkaido now produces 70% of Japan’s potatoes and its yields average a staggering 820 cwt per acre!

I studied a bit about where some of Japan’s new potato varieties came from and found that many of them derived from the NATIONAL AGRICULTURAL EXPERIMENT STATION, ENIWA, HOKKAIDO.

I noticed that the Irish Cobbler was like a pioneer in the pedigree of many Japanese varieties.
The founder effect, and/or bottle-necking of Irish Cobbler germplasm in Japan is huge, really huge. I did a pedigree search on how many Japanese potato varieties had Irish Cobbler as a direct parent. I found a dozen or more. Then I did a search further back into the pedigree of some and found it used as a grandparent all the way back to being used as a great, great, great, great, grandparent. Many times, Irish Cobbler was located in several lines on the female and male lineage.

Here is a pedigree search of direct crosses of Irish Cobbler. Notice how it was used overwhelmingly as the female parent. That follows the pattern of its supposed parent --Early Rose. If you follow potato pedigree info as closely as I do, you will know that the curse of potato breeding is the poor pollen parent trait that comes down directly from Early Rose.

3702-125 JAP IRISH COBBLER x DEODARA

NORIN NO.1 JAP 1943 IRISH COBBLER x DEODARA

NORIN NO.2 JAP 1945 IRISH COBBLER x PEPO

BANSEI-DANSHAKU-IMO JAP IRISH COBBLER mutant

BIFUKASHIRO JAP 1942 IRISH COBBLER x DEODARA

CHITOSE JAP 1953 IRISH COBBLER x HONIKU 393

HATSUFUBUKI JAP 1979 IRISH COBBLER x WB 61037-4

HOKKAISHIRO JAP 1938 IRISH COBBLER x PEPO

KITAAKARI JAP 1987 IRISH COBBLER x TUNIKA

KW 85093-33 JAP IRISH COBBLER x W553-4 (adg)

OOJIRO JAP 1954 IRISH COBBLER x NORIN NO. 1 (IRISH COBBLER x DEODARA)

SHIMAKEI 232 JAP (IRISH COBBLER x PEPO) x SHIMAKEI 169

SHIROBANA-DANSHAKU-IMO JAP IRISH COBBLER mutant

Furthering my research on Japanese varieties I found quite a list to study. I could not find all the exact lineage of this group but here are but a few of them and their pedigree info:

Benimaru,
Bihoro
Chijiwa
Danohakuimo
Dejima
Eniwa
Hokkaiaka
Jukijiro
Nagasaki Zairai
Niseco
Norin 1
Norin 2
Ojiiro
Rishiri
Shireto
Tachibana
Tarumae
Toyoshiro
Unzen
Waseshiro
May Queen
Dejima
Nishiyutaka
Kita-akari
Touya
Sayaka
Hokkaikogane
Kitahime
Beniakari
Konafubuke
Inca-no-mezam
Inca Red
Inca Purple

BENIMARU JAP 1938 LEMBKES FRUHE ROSEN x PEPO

BIHORO JAP 1969 HOKKAI 29 x HOCHPROZENTIGE

DEJIMA JAP 1971 HOKKAI 31 x UNZEN

ENIWA JAP 1961 SHIMAKEI 267 x SHIMAKEI 232 (IRISH COBBLER x PEPO) x SHIMAKEI 169

HOKKAIAKA JAP 1965 2070AB(31) x SHIMAKEI 290 (NORIN NO. 1 x GINEKE)

JUKIJIRO JPN 1961 KENNEBEC x NORIN NO. 2 (IRISH COBBLER x PEPO)

RISHIRI JAP 1960 41089-8 (IRISH COBBLER IS A G-G. GRANDPARENT)
x NORIN NO. 1 (IRISH COBBLER x DEODARA)

SHIRETOKO JAP 1967 HOKKAI 24 x SHIMAKEI 291 (NORIN NO. 1 x ALPHA)

TACHIBANA JAP 1955 NORIN NO. 1 (IRISH COBBLER x DEODARA) x KATAHDIN

TARUMAE JAP 1969 OOJIRO (IRISH COBBLER x { NORIN NO. 1 (IRISH COBBLER x DEODARA)} x HOCHPROZENTIGE

TOYOSHIRO JAP 1976 HOKKAI 19 x ENIWA BTW IRISH COBBLER IS A G-G GRANDPARENT ON ONE SIDE AND A G. GRANDPARENT ON ANOTHER.

UNZEN JAP 1955 NORIN NO. 1( IRISH COBBLER x DEODARA) ) x KA TAHDIN

WASESHIRO JAP 1974 KONKEI 7 x HOKKAI 39 BTW,IRISH COBBLER IS A GREAT-GREAT GRANDPARENT OF WASESHIRO descending from Konkei

NISHIYUTAKA JAP 1978 DEJIMA x CHOUKEI 65 Note; Irish Cobbler is a g. grandparent

KONAFUBUKI JAP 1981 TOYOSHIRO x WB 66201-10

BENIAKARI JAP 1994 HOKKAI 61 x R392-50 (IRISH COBBLER IS A G.G.G.G GRANDPARENT

SAYAKA JAP 1995 PENTLAND DELL x R392-50

I know this information is a bit esoteric, but gleaming the trivia for the larger picture is my goal. The data here may guide one to a new variety with the Irish Cobbler qualities, but without the defects such as after cooking darkening.

Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote