View Single Post
Old August 29, 2019   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Old Onion Seed Germinated

A few years ago I started a "seed vault" in the big freezer to stash seed I wasn't going to need because I was switching varieties or to store excess saved seed. No more tossing out seed unless it's something that just wouldn't do well here.

One of those saved was Red Creole onion seed from 2016. I started some a little while ago when I started the fresh Australian Brown onion seed. They both came up five days after seeding.

Originally I wasn't going to plant onions this fall at all. Efforts to cure/store them successfully here in this hot climate without a root cellar haven't worked and there's no room in the house for them. So after I pulled the onions early last month, I just set them on screens under the pole shed and left them there even after they seemed dry. They were on that screen all summer in the heat and have survived just fine! No rot.

So..... I've decided to do onions once more and although the original plan was to just do one side of one bed (18') with the Browns, I'm also doing the Creole Reds on the other side. Or maybe just that one row, half and half.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote