View Single Post
Old July 17, 2019   #23
shule1

I've grown Alexandria and Yellow Wonder from both store-bought seeds and from fruits those grew. We've had plants for I think a few years now.

I started Reine des Vallees' this spring. It's in the garden, now.

I've tried other alpine types, but they either died in the greenhouse or didn't sprout (probably because of the soil). I think they're easier to start indoors in just regular potting soil.

I started Tresca and Fresca. They're young plants in my windowsill, now.

I recently grew seeds from Ozark Beauty, and some of them sprouted (also in my windowsill), and I more recently planted seeds from Quinault.

To start the seeds, I prefer to mush whole berries up in the container soil (mixing them with the top part of the soil) and just keep them watered, in a south window, indoors. It's worked for me (with and without a fan going). I don't think that cold stratification is necessary. Seedlings can be delicate (so be careful). They stay small for a good while, but otherwise, I think they're about as easy to start as tomatoes.

Strawberries can be split up easily later if overseeded (at least the alpine types; my garden strawberries are still young; so, I don't have experience splitting them up, yet). How much later, I'm not sure of the ideal maturity. Alpine types can still fruit well if you don't separate them, though.

I've only had fruit from Alexandria and Yellow Wonder, so far (for seed-grown plants). Alexandria did better with production the first year, but Yellow Wonder has done better with production than Alexandria after that. I like them both for flavor. They're each unique. The plants look nice, too. Alexandria had better and/or faster germination rates than Yellow Wonder, both with purchased seed and planted fruits. In my climate, with both varieties, the fruits will dry on the plant instead of spoiling, if you don't pick them fast.

Last edited by shule1; July 17, 2019 at 06:38 PM.