View Single Post
Old March 29, 2008   #8
ronbrew
Tomatovillian™

I had a question that might already have been answered or can't be answered. But after looking at all the catalogs I found only two mentions of Brandywine, one a blurb how they were giving out free seeds for trials, another one comparing their tomato (Matchless) as better than Brandywine. One company seemed to say seed was sent in to them from a customer in Ohio and that their person growing it in PA named it after the river nearby. They all seemed to write it up as so wonderful. But then it's just dead in terms of nobody offering seeds for sale or no mention of the variety. I started thinking that maybe it was given out for free at one point but it was not received well by growers. Maybe in those days yield was much more important than taste. Brandywine is not super prolific but very good taste. Anyway I just find it odd that there is so little written about the tomato. None for sale anywhere. Did the Amish just happen to get these seeds and keep growing the variety and the seed was never really sold to farmers or home gardeners. Has anyone seen anything more than the slight mentions in a couple of these catalogs. You would think there is more information out there than this. Even in old books I've found scanned by Google never mentions the name. Talk about forgotten history it just doesn't make sense. I'd start a new thread on this but I have a feeling there are no answers to this question.
Ron
ronbrew is offline   Reply With Quote