View Single Post
Old September 20, 2016   #40
shule1

I don't know about which varieties can get the biggest, but I can tell you my experience, so far.

The varieties I've grown that got the largest fruits were these:

* Cuostralee
* Chapman
* George Detsikas Italian Red

Chapman seemed to get the most huge tomatoes on it, however, and I liked the flavor the most. All the varieties produced good, well-formed tomatoes without cracking, but Chapman looked particularly nice. I don't know how heavy they were, but I'm pretty sure one of the Chapman's was at least as wide as my head. Cuostralee's largest was probably my largest tomato, though, but I'm not sure which was the heaviest of all three varieties.

I'm growing Omar's Lebanese somewhere in the southwestern part of my tomato area, but I haven't found it, yet. I've been looking for weeks (granted I was looking for unharvested varieties generally, and not just Omar's Lebanese; I've got about 29 varieties left to harvest, out of about a hundred).

I hear Pineapple can get big, and I grew that, but it turns out my seeds were crossed or something, as the fruits were solid yellow all the way through (not bicolor). They were smaller than Celebrity F1 gets, but still decent sized (not huge by any means).

Last edited by shule1; September 20, 2016 at 09:58 PM.