View Single Post
Old January 30, 2019   #24
gardenmermaid
Tomatovillian™

I grew Rugosa Friulana last year and really enjoyed it. Like Tormato, I had some pale green ones, but mostly they were yellow. All were good but there was a flavor difference between the two. The pale green ones had a sweet flavor that reminded me of fresh baby corn.

A couple of years ago, a friend grew a squash plant he had purchased at a store and didn't save the tags from. HE didn't know what it was but that it was a winter squash and he picked some when they were yellow and as big around as a smaller spaghetti squash but about twice as long. He thought they were ripe but when he gave one to me I could see they were still "green" even though they were yellow and pointed out to him how you could tell they weren't mature because the skin was so soft. We didn't want to waste the immature squash and I had heard that some winter squash made good summer squash, and had nothing to lose.
I decided to slice it up and saute it like zucchini.
BEST "summer squash" I've EVER had. Great texture, not mushy, sweet and nutty flavor. I even ate some of the slices raw and they were delicious!
My friend tried to let some of the squash finish hardening on the vine but it froze before they were all the way mature. Some of the biggest ones started turning pale orange and they looked to me like something in the banana squash family. Not sure if it was THE banana squash or one of the similar types, but the shape was long with tapered ends like banana.
I am planning on growing banana squash this year just to see if it is as good of a summer squash as that one.
gardenmermaid is offline   Reply With Quote