View Single Post
Old June 15, 2020   #8
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Default A few setbacks

Been away for a while dealing with some garden issues and would like your take on the latest.

Saturday before last (June 6th) around 9pm, DW and I were alarmed by a loud thunderstorm and crazy noise on the siding of the house. We looked out and were shocked to see major hail with high winds buffeting the place. It lasted a few minutes, covering the decks with a thick layer of ice. It felt like we were pelted with buckshot. In the morning we could still see thick ice in various places. Veggie garden was a mess, with lots of shredded foliage, blooms from tomatoes and other on the ground. Very small transplants were totaled -done. I was so bummed out and avoiding it, that I only took these few pics 2 days ago.

Onions, I was hoping to gradually cut a few of the leaves to use in salads, no more.
hail-onions.jpg

Eggplants, some new leaves are growing so I've since cleaned them up.
hail-eggplant.jpg

Lettuce was hit the hardest, although this pic doesn't show the worse -plants were totally flattened. New foliage growing, but we lost at least 50% of the edible material. It's not appealing to eat (or serve) lettuce with brown holes.
hail-lettuce.jpg

continue...
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote