View Single Post
Old March 6, 2017   #8
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Either that or the one called Apricot Brandywine, which came from Unwins in England and Martin SSE listed it so it got spread around,and in the opinion of many, not a good thing to do.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Apricot_Brandywine

Fred, I know of no Brandywine called Brandywine Orange.

Carolyn
Here is a description I found on the Michigan Heirlooms website:

"APRICOT BRANDYWINE
I was really impressed with this tomato. Outrageously beautiful! Shiny dark apricot fruits averaging just under a pound with slightly ribbed shoulders and glossy skin. Super meaty and nearly coreless, with few seeds and gel. Flavor is exceptional; sweet and mellow with a slight acid finish. Disease resistance and drought tolerance was excellent; out-performing all other Brandywine-types in the 2015 garden.
HISTORY: There is controversy regarding the history of this variety. Some believe that it is just a renamed version of Yellow Brandywine and/or Summer Cider. While I have seed for Summer Cider I have not grown it out yet, so I can not speak to it potentially being a renamed version of this cultivar. However, I did grow out both Yellow Brandywine and Apricot Brandywine this past summer (2015) side by side, and saw no resemblance, whatsoever. Apricot Brandywine far out-performed in all categories over Yellow Brandywine (note, that I don't even list the latter). I think it's also important to note here my seed source(s). While I do not have my original source for Yellow Brandywine (this was pre-database years- 2003), the seed I used in 2015 came from seed saved from the original source, out of 2006's garden. Apricot Brandywine seed was procured from Martin Longseth (WI). There is a gentleman on the web that states that he purchased "Apricot Brandywine" seed from a company in the UK called Unwins in 2004. This may be where the renaming originated, as Summer Cider is purported to have been bred in this vicinity. Whatever the real history is, I am not sure, but I will be growing all three out side-by-side in 2016. Until then, it is my belief that this is indeed a unique variety and am offering it as such."

And here is the link to that page, if you'd like to read it directly. Just scroll down alphabetically: http://www.michiganheirlooms.com/TomatoBEEFSTEAK.html

Now this has piqued my curiosity! Love to try it.
Seeds, seeds, the last thing I need are more seeds!?!
TC_Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote