View Single Post
Old February 11, 2018   #247
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Great! I posted to check-in and see who was still at it, testing, gave up, what does
best, etc.

Good trial listing Soilsniffer.
Salanova is not only reliable, it is so buttery delicious and long lasting in the garden. Can
be cut and it will give again. I just took outer leaves of each variety and seemed like forever
before I pulled and bagged entire plants that then lasted some time in the fridge.

Sunflower is well known in the commercial production world to be the most likely to
cause some mold troubles. I use the hydrogen peroxide/vinegar soak, 1/2 hour-ish, rinse,
then soak overnight or all day. I go ahead now and just do the same for peas even though they
don't need soaking but they swell and near double in size so it is easier to space them in
soil.
I've also been top watering them up until 3-4" to moisten the seed coat as they seem the most likely to
have trouble shedding their seed coat.

Timing is near perfect cutting a third of 4-5 trays per day fresh. Four will be emptied today
and have 6 more sprouting.

I would have given up on the peas had I relied on the two I was previously growing. One was
especially woody over 6". I have one now that is still tender at 10". Amazing sweet flavor
just like a garden fresh early pea.

I gave the boys at work lots of mustard and my salad mix. In return they gave me lots of new
peas to try and a few others.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote