View Single Post
Old August 17, 2017   #56
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
Bill, I used to grow Socrates too, it has been replaced by Revolution. Same shape, same thick walls, better yield. I like Jalafuego from TGS. Revolution in my hand, JF on the front of the pile.
Those peppers look fantastic. It is nice to see a pile of bells that don't show any spots from diseases and pests and no obvious sun scald. I am having a very good pepper year as far as production and fruit set is concerned but I am also having a lot of damaged fruit both from bug stings, diseases and sun scald. When I pick those damaged peppers they have to be used immediately or they will tend to ruin very quickly.

I have been growing Revolution for about four or five years and it is also a good pepper but it has never produced like Socrates. It also has one flaw that makes it inferior and that is a thick tough skin. Maybe the difference in skin is only something that happens in our hot and humid climate. Revolution also seems to be not much more disease tolerant than Socrates but at least the seeds are still available.

I can't remember all the Jalapenos I have grown but I do believe Jalafuego was one of or the best I have tried. I will probably be reordering it for next year. Thanks.

I was planning on spraying my peppers and tomatoes for whiteflies at daylight this morning but due to an arthritis flare up I am unable to do the walking required this morning so hopefully it will ease by this afternoon and I can get that chore done. Whiteflies are wrapping everything up right now and I'm sure they are helping spread diseases. They are another of those hard to get under control pests once they get bad.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote