View Single Post
Old April 9, 2010   #30
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Mark asks where I am several times a year it seems...the latest ...
Quote:
Tom, are you still with us???
Yeah...mostly over on the potato forum..seems that more folks are more interested in my potato varieties and breeding work than with my tomatoes.

There are just too many tomato varieties out there and the interest in new lines from me would be rather redundant! I released quite a few tomato varieties and crosses in Europe last Fall but the wind went out of my sails when I came home to the states where we are over-run with varieties....and I lost some of my push to talk about tomatoes.

Not to say I don't still work with the breeding and selection.....but I had to start with new cooperators this year as last year's cooperators were overwhelmed with too many varieties.

I am struggling to find the time to transplant tomatoes in the greenhouse and work for a living full time. I try to transplant 50 to 72 varieties a day, and most of the time those varieties/crosses/segregates number from just a few to several hundred per line. On the potato sub forum I think I may have talked about potato seedling transplants as in my 502 hybrid plants of Skagit Valley Golds x bulk diploids for example.

I thought about putting together a web site about my tomatoes but I failed for the umpteenth time to get the follow through to put a site even to a single page.

I have thousands of pictures I took in Europe...many of my tomatoes grown there but I get this kind of message when I try to upload picture 5412...
Quote:
DSCN5412.JPG:
The Dimension limits for this filetype are 1584 x 3300. We were unable to resize your file so you will need to do so manually and upload it again. Your file is currently 3264 x 2448.
If I had the time I would write about the extreme vigor of a Sun Gold x Blue P-20 and the purple stems of the hybrid....or the riot of plant types of a complex cross of Anana Noir x Green Zebra x Vintage Wine x NC2cms35/10 x Gamblers x Sweet N Sour x WV700 x Blue P-20 but who would care?

Also...who would care to read about a cross of a pink and green striped crossed to a hybrid of Blue P-20 and Woolly Green Zebra...picking out the seedlings to replant that are showing woolliness, blue stems, and hoping for a 50% chance of those having vivid stripes? Who would want to know what I am looking for in that one in the F-2 generation? I have to worry if I can find homes for them locally for seed extraction and breeding purposes.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote