View Single Post
Old January 30, 2013   #44
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_D View Post
Thought I'd keep this thread rolling .........

started to think about crossing Sungold with either Aunt Gertie's Gold or Lucky Cross - as these are both delicious but have been late/low producers in my garden in past years. An early saladette with outstanding taste would be the hoped for outcome.

In browsing the web I note a Sungold x Little Lucky cross done by Keith Mueller and commented on by DarJones - anyone know the status of this one?
I have a personal absolute best flavor experience of my life in a tomato but it is none of the above. I was visiting Keith Mueller last September and sampled some tomatoes from his garden. He is working on stabilizing a line from a cross of Sungold X Little Lucky. If you have grown Sungold, you know how sweet it can be. If you have grown Little Lucky, you know how much flavor it has. Now combine the two into the most awesome flavor package I've ever had the pleasure of sampling. SunLucky is sweet as sugar with a brix of at least 12 when I sampled it and it has that fabulous Brandywine flavor from Little Lucky. And get this, it is potato leaf and bicolor! On my rating scale of 1 to 10, it got 11.5 which is totally off the scale and made me re-evaluate all other tomatoes I've ever tasted.

Keith may have something stabilized in a year or so. Here's hoping he can get that fabulous flavor into a tomato we all can grow.

DarJones
April 8th, 2010, 12:39 AM
Anyone worked on Lucky Cross or Aunt Gertie's Gold x Sungold and/or have the time, space and inclination to do so ........

and to think of all the material that would not be here today if it hadn't been for Tad (Old German x Tigerella) along with the help of Brandywine
I have advanced generation selections from SunSugar x Lucky Cross. So far so good.
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote