View Single Post
Old April 26, 2019   #6
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

1,2,3 is the 6" raised bed I built a year and a half ago to corral the garlic that has been growing here since the late 1950's. They have 7 leaves, about 15" tall. Planted mid-Nov. I finally covered with 3-4" of wood chips in early January right before it got pretty cold. Most of wood chips were scraped back in early March. By then, only a few had penetrated the thinner areas and I got worried 4" of soggy chips was too much. This garlic will probably be ready mid-late June.

4 is the walking garlic, 10 feet away. That is the SW side of arbor vitae. This garlic is unthinned and bulbs would be small but otherwise it looks the same as the stuff I corralled. That is how it has grown for years, here, and I wanted to keep that patch just in case. It does not get mulched or anything.

5,6 is around the NW side of the house, so it gets only a little afternoon sun. I transplanted that from the walking stuff...I think 3 years back, now. It came up small that first season, and I didn't bother to dig any up. But again, now it pretty much looks like the rest of them. The bulbs would be small and clustered but the growth appears the same.

7,8 and 9,10 are little 3 ft plots I put over at the comm garden. * They did not go in until December, I believe.* These bulbs were second string. I was going to put in some more all along my border, and had forked it, but the weather turned or something and it never happened. These beds were forked and treated otherwise same as my main bed in the first pics, just planted a month later. They look about the same except most have 6 leaves instead of 7, and about 12" instead of 15". But this patch is also more exposed to wind, sun, and runoff and does not have the 6" raised box.
EDIT: these were in fact planted in mid-Nov same as the main bed in pics 1 2 3. Only the late border planting was aborted due to weather. The size difference is due to location/smaller cloves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01.JPG (275.3 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg 02.JPG (262.8 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 03.JPG (252.7 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg 04.JPG (266.9 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg 05.JPG (275.4 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg 06.JPG (261.8 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg 07.JPG (338.0 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 08.JPG (321.9 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg 09.JPG (315.5 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg 10.JPG (338.0 KB, 104 views)

Last edited by JRinPA; April 26, 2019 at 02:04 PM.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote