View Single Post
Old July 19, 2017   #17
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillian View Post
True that! I'm not growing any zucchini squash next year. Too much trouble keeping the SVB away and takes up too much space besides. Just not worth the effort to me.

It is not that hard to keep them away. Just do what I said in the above post. I use a small bulb duster and it only takes a minute to treat a few plants. I usually have to reapply the Sevin five or six times depending on how much heavy rain we get. I haven't lost a single plant to SVB in the last five years and it hasn't cost much money or much effort. Before I learned to do this I was about through messing with squash down here.

I have found a yellow zucchini that is fantastic and produced like crazy called Butta. Burpees has also brought back butter bar or butter stick and it is a great yellow zucchini. I think I am going to limit myself to only three plants next year and if two of them are doing great I will remove the third. Actually one plant doing well will provide more than enough squash for us. Since I started treating the base of the stems with Sevin dust I have been reducing the number of plants each year. If this keeps up I may end up planting only one but I just don't trust zucchini enough because every once in a while you get one that makes a big plant and almost no squash.

Bill

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote