View Single Post
Old May 18, 2013   #55
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

The provision of the so-called appropriate potato variety for the potato box.....that is a tall order. Since potato breeding has been devoted for field culture in rows, it is not surprising that readily available varieties for the potato box may not be easily found. A perfect tower adapted potato would have been dropped like a hot potato by breeders since it would have been anathema....banished at once!

This breeder does not normally get his varieties into the certification chain and even if temporarily available the varieties are not entered into a germplasm maintenance of any federal or local authority. In my 60 years of working with potato varieties I have probably witnessed a million or so clones pass by my eyes.

One would think the garden suppliers and catalogs would flock around my work with making garden friendly potatoes available, but that just hasn't been the case.
The up front costs would scare them away due to the economy of scale.

I think there is a market for specialty potatoes but I am unable to provide for that market...too busy with TPS, breeding, tomatoes, etc.

Quote:
Determinate potatoes flower once and produce one layer of potatoes, so they are not suitable for bin growing. Indeterminate potato varieties, which flower continuously throughout the growing season, are better for bin growing. Does this Spark an idea?
Bintje was mentioned, but I have some much more productive for a bin environment.

Read more: Potato Varieties for Bin Growing | eHow http://www.ehow.com/list_7461703_potato-varieties-bin-growing.html#ixzz2TecRJebd

I thought of Durban's appeal for a provable potato.
For Canada... looking for an appropriate variety…not perfect but a start with what may be available
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/plants/p.../1312587385790
McIntyre
Very late maturity
I had talked about this variety many years ago as a candidate for bins.
One must be open minded and look for what is locally available otherwise......

Jean Chretien's quote on PROOF seems to be a bit misapplied here on this forum...finding the perfect potato is a potential goal but no one proves a potato variety ....no matter how good it is. Trial and error...simple.

Quote:
"No, a proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."
Chrétien actually said a few things that made sense...paraphrased here...
Quote:
Sometimes our approaches are different. Sometimes it's a matter of different means of achieving common goals; sometimes it is because our interests are different. But we approach these differences with the honesty and mutual respect that a relationship like ours deserves. But the areas that bring us together are much greater than those that divide us. Working together, we are setting an example of international cooperation for the world.
Funny quotes from Jean Chretien...not that I am implying anything.....

Quote:
It's like the story of the Hippo and the Zerba. That Hippo, he paint the stripe on him to look like the Zerba. But at the end of that day he still a Hippo
—Jean Chrétien
Reminds me of a movie line....had to look it up...yes

Quote:
Zee heeppopotamoose, he is not born saying, "Cool beans. I am a heeppo." No way, Joesay. So he try to paint zee stripe on him to be like zee zebra, but he fool no one. Then he try to put zee spot on zee skin to be like the leopard, but everyboody know he is a heeppo. So, at certain point, he look himself in zee mirror and he just say, "Hey. I am a heeppopotamoose and zere is nothing I can do about it." As soon as he accepts zis, he live life happy. Happy as a heeppo. You understand zis, Luban?

Along Came Polly (2004)
Interesting word....proof....

Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote