View Single Post
Old March 28, 2011   #13
Patrina_Pepperina
Cross Hemisphere Dwarf Project™ Moderator

Craig, my daughter's dwarfs were in ground (raised beds) and some were so jungle-like in her rich soil - a Snowy F2 ended up leaning over the side and hanging on the ground with hundreds of red cherries. I had to try to balance the plant on one arm and shoulder while I picked fruit with the other but could only do so with part of the plant at a time. I admit that I had only tied all her plants with string twice and then didn't get back to them until it was too late!

My own garden beds by comparison were very manageable with the plant sizes and weights and stake types, but my soil is not rich. Staking for pots can certainly be a challenge as you experience each year with toppling plants - I think that the pots you place along the edge of the lawn and drive stakes into the ground next to them work quite well, right?

I have a strawberry guava in a large pottery container (about 40-50 gal I'd estimate) and the whole thing toppled during windy weather one night recently but luckily it didn't break.

Patrina