View Single Post
Old September 1, 2017   #5
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmauch View Post
If the parents are not stable then definitely different F1s may have different potential, but in general all seeds of a given F1 will have the same potential.*

That's what I believe. Now I think there are (on some of the smallest cherries) where the plant never has more than 2 locules, but on a lot of cherries 2 to 3 is common. I think this means the plant has a 'weak' active lc gene, but that would be in all the fruit/genetics of that plant.

*The only thing that *might* be exception is if a branch formed on a plant that all the tomatoes on that branch were different from the main plant. In that case, the changed genetics "might" be able to be passed on to its progeny. Plants have 3 layers of meristem tissue, and if the mutation is not in the layer from where flowers are formed, the mutation is not passible via breeding [I'm assuming a lot of this from reading about apples which are grown in vast quantities of clones and occasionally a favorable mutation is found which is then propagated into new orchards.]

My caveat: I'm only an enthusiastic amateur. Anything I said here might be wrong.
Thanks for confirming my thoughts. I probably wasted effort keeping separate the seeds based on number of locules. Since I did, I'll probably run at least one experiment comparing fruit size from 2-locule fruit vs. fruit from 4 or 5-locule fruit. At least then I won't feel like I totally wasted the effort and it will give me confirmation of the theory.

You are obviously ahead of me in your knowledge of plant breeding. Thanks for the comments.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote