View Single Post
Old July 21, 2016   #60
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Good to hear, one thing I learned this year was cucumbers need way more water than tomatoes and was thinking the RGGS would be perfect for them. My Sweet Success have done so well I'm a little in shock. I been growing cukes for years and never anything like this production. I like the flavor as well and plan to grow forever now. Next year I want to grow H-19 Little leaf as my pickling cukes.
I am in awe of S. Success too. Monika is just as prolific and probably tastier if harvested at the right moment.

They need almost 2x the water/ferts.

I've been providing H2O via the tube + a granulated fertilizer strip, and subsequent foliar supplementation. I've never had healthier cucumbers. They even handle our 1-2 pm scorch, with leaves larger than my hand wilting only a tiny bit.

I highly recommend wet feet for cucumbers.

Blacktail Mountain (1st time) and Baby Doll F1 will be placed in two 45 gallon rootpots, surrounded by CRW + chicken wire cages. Every year my dogs find a way to get to the watermelons, not this summer. Corn will go in the same setup, as it seems to be just as appetizing to them. Nevertheless, the beach garden already has both of those watermelons in the ground. Fingers crossed.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote