View Single Post
Old July 31, 2022   #29
Balr14
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
My setup - I have 40EB but this past season only used 10 for growing tomatoes, and grew broccoli, cauliflower, onions, and lettuce in the others. I also have 7 EB Jrs that are strictly for lettuce growing.

My season goes from Sept 1 - June 30 with Sept 1 just starting seeds.

I typically use a lot more EB for tomatoes, but this past year I didn't - it gets really cold some January nights and I found the tomato plants growing in Root Pouches can really handle the cold / heat better.

For ALL my tomato plants, I have to attach the cage to a T-Post to keep them from blowing over. I have tons of wind; it's not unusual to have days of 30-35 MPH sustained over several days.

For most of the growing season, I cover the outside of the EBs so the intense sun does not make the mix and reservoir too warm. This makes everything look really crappy but it really does work. I use the empty bags of Promix which really looks bad and also cut green indoor / outdoor carpet with the underneath part exposed to the sun.

When the season is over, I empty all my EB and Rootpouch (Fabric grow bags), and solarize all the mix and pressure wash everything.

My main season (winter) is during the least # of daylight hours.
I grow lots of peppers and herbs in my EBs. I don't have to worry about too much heat or sun. I tried carrots and cucumbers in an EB last year. That idea needs some work.
Balr14 is offline   Reply With Quote