View Single Post
Old May 8, 2017   #29
StrongPlant
Tomatovillian™

Things are getting lively in my garden and greenhouse again.Unfortunately last year I made crosses too late,because I wanted to evaluate plant's preformance before I cross them.Lesson learned-cross first,then evaluate.I did manage to cross some though and get interesting F1s and even make an interesting discovery.

The discovery is regarding the multiflora gene (s-compound inflorescence).This gene does not seem to be completely recessive and expresses itself partially in F1 when a multiflora type is crossed with a normal flowering pattern tomato.
Check it out yourselves:

F1 a cross between S.Pimpinellifolium(vigorous hairless strain I've been using as a parent a lot)and a multiflora type yellow tom(Ildi)

Not as many flowers as multiflora but the number is certanly increased(in comparison to crosses with the same pimp while other parent has normal inforescence,those had exclusively a simple raceme-type) .The thing that interested me however is that multifloral types typicaly have 4 to 6 leaves between each inflorescence while normal infloresc. toms have 3 on avarage.Guess how many this F1 has.Yeah,only 3.This might lead to increased yields,but we'll see.

For comparison here is a another F1 with the same pimp parent and another potato-leaved one with normal infloresc.
StrongPlant is offline   Reply With Quote