View Single Post
Old June 3, 2020   #12
meganp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomNJ View Post
Note that the leaf plane is oriented perpendicular to the rows to maximize sunlight and minimize the plant-to-plant shading that would occur if the leaf plane were in line with the rows (i.e. 12" of room to spread vs 6"). Garlic leaves form a fan shape within a single plane, and this plane grows in line (parallel) with the back of the cloves, so orienting the cloves at planting allows you to control the orientation of the leaf plane.

@Tom have you posted this information about the leaf plant in other forums? I have been trying to remember where I read this before because i first read about it almost 10 years ago and it has been bugging me that I couldn’t find it again. Did you happen to be on the now defunct Seed Saver’s Forum perhaps?
The reason I was trying to find the original post was to check whether there was any refer to rounds and how the leaf plane is determined?
I grow a turban that stubbornly continues to grow ever larger rounds and won’t divide into cloved bulbs yet rounds planted side by side will alternately produce bulbs or rounds. Have planted all the rounds together again to see what I harvest this season.
Your garlic Looks amazing btw.
meganp is offline   Reply With Quote