Thread: False Economy!
View Single Post
Old April 26, 2011   #82
JackE
Tomatovillian™

It's 4:00 AM, the front has passed, and I just went down and checked the lake level - UP 2 INCHES! That's enough water to give me several heavy waterings, depending on the evaporation rate - even if we don't get any more rain. I shouldn't need to water at all for a week or so.

The rain was confined to a small area of eastern Texas - but this time we got it! There's a chance for some more over the weekend. The guys at church wanted to come over yesterday with a big track hoe (this is pine timber country and they have heavy equipment of all kinds), tear the pump out, dig a hole in the lake bottom and lower the pump. Something told me not to do that! Now our pump is still in place and we've got some water.

I made a mistake last winter. I broke-up new land, because we're clean-fallowing the old plots for nematodes. I didn't move the drip system and just installed sprinklers. Sprinklers waste lots of water, encourage weeds and are very inefficient. If it hadn't been so windy, we would probably be having severe fungus/bacterial problems as well. Tomatoes don't like to sprinkled - and I KNEW that! Live and learn.

Tam (I think you told me your name and I forgot - is it Carol?), don't you grow any regular hybrids and offer your customers a choice? Yesterday, completely tasteless WalMart tomatoes were $2.48 a pound!

Fire worries are over - at least for now.

Jack
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote