View Single Post
Old May 2, 2012   #1
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Default I got knocked in the head!

i surely did - by a 2 1/2 inch long flying beetle! It is MONSTROUS!!! Lokks like a 'click beetle" BUT has gray & black striping along its wings covering its abdomen & has a light gray background w/2 black spots on the top of its thorax - they look like EYES! Creepy, creepy & too big to hold to see if it "clicks".
I have it in a Chock Full o' Nuts can. I will add 1 of the two weirdo caterpillars I have had cruising around here - never seen before & truck over to the Ag Extension Service to see what I have got.

Caterpillar 1 - fuzzy yellow & mustardy stripes with 2 long fuzzy tufts in the front & shorter fuzzy tufts (both sets black) in the back - makes you want to pet it but I suspect it may sting so no touching

Caterpillar 2 - darker brown & reddish striping w/shorted brownis tufts both fore and aft BUT w/ 3 or 4 pairs of wart-like symmetrical saddles in its middle. Thought the first one had a parasitic affliction but have since seen more.

Both these caterpillars are about the size & thickness of those awful tent worm caterpillars.

Any clues as what these 3 are?

We had kudzu beetles show up last week for the first time ever (thanks Atlanta airport & USDA). They are similar to dark olive green flying dog ticks until you count their legs & crush their carapaces (crunch not squish).

Golden web spiders are moving into the area again - last one we had was several years ago & she got as big as the palm of my hand...
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote