View Single Post
Old March 26, 2012   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
Did your customer specify whether he prefers short stake determinates, or if the person/people in India are prepared to trellis long vine varieties? All the tomato varieties I've received from India are short stake or ground-sprawl capable, in addition to tart flavored.

Someone here may remember my talking about the pepper variety Elephant Ears recently which turned out to be lethally hot with no warning and it was from a commercial pack of seeds I was given from India.

A neighbor's son was in India for some cultural program or exchange, I don't remember ,and I asked them to ask him to bring back any tomatoes, peppers, etc. He did and I got about 10 packs I recall, the Elephant Ears was the only pepper and the rest were tomatoes, all in commercial packs.

I've tried so hard to remember the names of those tomatoes, I've looked at Tania's list of varieties from India, which is very short, and the only one that rings a faint bell is Pusa Ruby, which is an indeterminate.

Of course I grew all of them out and they were all small red fruited varieties and I really didn't like the taste of any of them. They were almost indistinguishable , one variety from another. And I'd like to say that most were determinates but I can't say that either b'c I just don't remember and I no longer have my data books from that time period so I can check/

I had moved back East from Denver in 1982 and started growing tomatoes at the old family farm I think that very next year and this before I ever knew about SSE which I joined in 1989. And between about 1983 and 1990 I grew varieties from Glecklers and Seeds Blum and didn't save seeds that much, just grew them recorded the data and moved on. And it was in that time period that I grew out all the tomatoes and one pepper from India.

I also remember that about the first person I requested seeds from was Craig LeHoullier, this via SSE, and at the time he wanted to leave the pharmaceutical field, he lived near Philadephia at the time, and I wanted to get out of academia b'c of the politics. but had accepted a postion at a private liberal arts college in I think 1983 or 4 and found politics there as well. So we commiserated. Which led to a very long friendship between us which exists to this day.

Sorry for the off topic stuff; sometimes it just happens.