View Single Post
Old August 2, 2018   #27
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Wow, a gorgeous garden! When do you plant your corn? My Spring Treat went in 3/30 and the Silver Queen on 4/27. The Queen is almost always ready on the 4th of July even if it's planted before that. Seems like if the flag is wavin' on the 4th, the corn's ready. Any later finish than that and it seems like there's a lot of insect pressure and smut and the increasing heat doesn't help either. I've never had a successful later crop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden/Arborist View Post
We used no fertilizer on our corn crop other than urine mixed 5 gallons per 45 gallons of water and pumped using a sump pump from a 55 gallon plastic barrel.
You must drink a LOT of water.

Quote:
Next year we are going to plant Silver Queen on double rows 1ft. apart with 4ft. walkways.
Now, 4' walkways would really help with the hilling and fertilizing. It was really cramped in the corn patch with double rows and 32" walkways but it was the first time out with double rows and I was trying to maximize production. It actually decreased it. Live and learn. But I just checked on the garden map and 4' between double rows would give me four doubles next spring.

Quote:
We plant in fairly deep furrows and do a lot of hilling by hand with a hoe. I enjoy it. My plan is to leave the soil in the middle of the 1ft. double planted row a little low so when we hand water there is a collection area and the water will not run as much into the walkway.
I enjoy hilling too. There's something peaceful about it. Good idea about the lower area between rows and I'll do that if I decide to repeat the experiment.

Quote:
It seems the trend for higher yield is for closer spacing resulting on one main ear being produced and secondary ears being suppressed by closer spacings. We will work this into our corn plan for 2019.
I've always planted every 4" and then thinned to a final 8" spacing. That's probably the reason I've not ever had many second ears but the main ears are nice. Fewer skips too.

We're in the Augusta area.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote