View Single Post
Old October 19, 2019   #6
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I ferment larger batches as others have described, but often I want to save seeds from a really good tasting tomato I've just eaten. In that case, I scrape the seeds from the cutting board into a small cup, add just enough water to cover (1/4" - 1/2") add a small amount of Oxi-clean powder (1/4 tsp or tip of a knife) mix thoroughly and leave it for about 1/2 hour to remove the gel. Amounts and times are not strictly observed. If I pass by, I may stir it a few times. Then rinse seeds well in a sieve. I immerse the sieve in a full cup of hottish water and rub the seeds well in several changes of water, before more final tap rinses. I thwack the sieve contents into a #4 flat cone coffee filter supported by a cup. Then I lay the filter flat, and use a plastic knife to evenly spread the seeds in one layer. All filters have the name, date and any notes written on them before the seeds are added. In fact, being forgetful, I make up the labeled filter right after I put the seeds into the oxi, because half an hour later, I may not remember which tomato I ate! They dry quickly laid out, and can then be filed standing up, alphabetically, in an open shoe box where they continue to dry til I have time to deal with them. As they dry, they adhere to the paper. You use a fingernail or a small spoon or knife to rub them off. Eventually when I have time in the winter, I move them into plastic mini-ziplocks.

My problem with fermenting small amounts has been out of sight, out of mind, and sometimes they dry up before I remember I need to do something. Or if it's tightly covered, they may have sprouted. With the oxi, it's one and done, the same day.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote