View Single Post
Old December 29, 2010   #6
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by maupin View Post
Things I would have learned in Science class if I were paying attention..

Read the linked articles.

Is fruit set based upon keeping the plant in shade and cooler soil temps (white mylar) or ambient air temp????
Guess I should have tried to explain it better, what I was trying to say is that there are many factors that can effect the production of fruit. humidity can effect the pollen inside the flowers, heat stress to the roots or from ambient temps can cause lack of blooms becoming fruits. Stress from winds, insect damage, diseases, etc... can all have some effect on the fruit production.

White surfaces reflect light and heat (Mylar feels like a plastic but is shiny and has a metal like surface) ((I suggested the white plastic due to its cheaper and probably more easily found))

So I guess an answer to your question is that I would start by using a white plastic as a row cover, also shade from the afternoon sun might also help a bit, In the end though its mostly trial and error on what will work best for you.

Another approach I have recently seen suggested was to plant the tomatoes in closer blocks instead of rows. The ideal is that in very hot places if you place the tomatoes closer together and plant in blocks of four that the tomatoes help shade each other, I am not sure that would work in your area due to humidity, if the tomatoes are too close together the humidity might cause more damage from fungal diseases and could make them harder to spray.

Also different people have different ideals about what humidity is, I have lived in Florida and its humid but where I live in KY is more humid. Where you are is probably the most humid place I have ever been and I have been around the world twice. I know in Bangkok you could walk outside and within 5 mins feel like you need to change clothes as they would be soaked.

All the hybrid heat setting tomatoes that are suggested should work well for you. Only other option would be to find others in Thailand that grow tomatoes and see what things work for them as well.

I have seen people grow tomatoes right up against houses in Thailand and have some luck with it but not sure that will help you in the field
Stepheninky is offline   Reply With Quote