Thread: Raspberries!
View Single Post
Old January 26, 2014   #44
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
This is the only reason I mentioned the Gurneys Sweet Repeat, which, according to them is a red, heat resistant raspberry. I am not interested in it's attributes but simply pointing out Sweet Repeat cannot correctly be both red Nantahala and black Niwot
I'm not worried about Henry Field sending the wrong one. They do not sell Nantahala. If I don't get the right one, they will refund my money, or send the right one. The description of a black primocane fruiting raspberry is going to be hard to mix up since only one cultivar exists. And that is how Henry Fields describes it. They even call it Niwot. I will continue to call it Niwot myself, as that is the name by the breeder. Black raspberries look more like roses than red raspberries, so i should be able to tell when it arrives from the canes themselves. Black raspberries have thick thorns like roses do, and spaced far apart. Reds when they do have thorns are very unique looking skinny clusters of thorns very close to one another. Small hair like ends.
Sweet Repeat is just a marketing name niether Nantahala or Niwot is sweet repeat. Niether Gurneys nor Henry Fields developed either of these. They bought the right to rename, and they did. The catalog numbers are different so I'm not concerned.

Last edited by drew51; January 26, 2014 at 04:39 PM.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote