View Single Post
Old June 1, 2011   #15
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

well the site i quoted i read fast and misread it thinking that it said this snake has both hemo and neuro but upon reading it carefully it sates neuro. then this 2nd site clearly states both.

i never heard of this snake but like i said there are many different rattlers in the southwest and mexico. i never heard of a snake having both types of venom, i suppose it is possible but you know there's a lot of stuff on the internet and you have to wonder about the accuracy. i always thought all rattlers had hemotoxic venom.

i'm going to look for a site that sounds like it has some credibility to see if it discusses this snake....

not a lot of luck. some say it is a neurotoxin, some say a combination of both. apparently it is really a very dangerous snake with a very toxic venom!

from wikiepidia about the mojave green rattlesnake -

Rattlesnake venoms are complex cocktails of enzymes and other proteins that vary greatly in composition and effects, not only between species, but also between geographic populations within the same species. C. scutulatus is widely regarded as producing one of the most toxic snake venoms in the New World, based on LD50 studies in laboratory mice.[11] Their potent venom is the result of a presynaptic neurotoxin composed of two distinct peptide subunits.[12] The basic subunit (a phospholipase A2) is mildly toxic and apparently rather common in North American rattlesnake venoms.[13] The less common acidic subunit is not toxic by itself but, in combination with the basic subunit, produces the potent neurotoxin called “Mojave toxin.” Nearly identical neurotoxins have been discovered in five North American rattlesnake species besides C. scutulatus.[13] However, not all populations express both subunits. The venom of many Mojave rattlesnakes from south-central Arizona lacks the acidic subunit and has been designated “Venom B,” while Mojave rattlesnakes tested from all other areas express both subunits and have been designated “Venom A” populations.[14] Based on median LD50 values in lab mice, Venom A bite from Mojave rattlesnakes is more than ten times as toxic as Venom B, which lacks Mojave toxin.[15]

so i don't know for sure but 1 thing for sure keep away from this one!
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote