View Single Post
Old March 7, 2016   #71
TheUrbanFarmer
Tomatovillian™

Default 2016 Tomato News

Well, I have all my tomato seeds for 2016 officially planted!!! Except for maybe a few for personal fun that I've yet to start like the Peach Blow Sutton.

I'll have 15 different varieties - 360 seeds have been planted. I started this process last Friday and seeing as the organic gardening is really just a hobby that is getting out of control, I don't always plant everything at the exact same time. I try, but prior responsibilities and making a living can get in the way of that.

Last Friday (2/26) I planted the first 8 varieties, of which most have already sprouted. First number is planted and the second is those that have sprouted to date:

Yellow Gooseberry - 36 - 31
Chocolate Cherry - 36 - 29
Solar Flare - 36 - 29
Break O' Day - 36 - 27
Blue Boar Berries - 18 - 16
Purple Bumblebee - 18 - 15
Brimmer - 18 - 17
Pineapple - 18 - 10

I fully expect to get higher numbers than that given some time; germination rates last year were over 96%. I'll be highly disappointed with the Pineapple if that is all that come up!!

Today (3/6) I finished up planting with:

Rosella Purple - 36
Rosso Sicilian - 18
Oroma - 18
Blue Gold - 18
Golden Queen - 18
White Beauty - 18
Black Beauty - 18

A large majority of these plants will be sold in 4" pots at the local farmers' market in the spring and the rest will be planted in a couple various locations. I'm actually working a small 1/4 acre garden this year in addition to the beds in my backyard. I plan to keep the larger fruits like the Pineapple and Brimmer in the backyard where they can be watched over a bit more closely and I'll have 144 plants on part of the 1/4 acre.

It's going to be an EXCITING year!!!

The 1/4 acre will also have summer squash, beets, carrots and beans:

Straightneck Yellow
Cocozella Di Napoli
Black Beauty Zucchini
Grey Zucchini

Bull's Blood (for greens)
Chioggia Gaurdsmark
Touchstone Gold
Kestrel

Chantenay Red Core
Scarlet Nantes
Cosmic Purple

Calima
Royal Purple Pod

In addition, there will also be 136 peppers planted. Everything ranging from sweet Italian Marconi to Carolina Reapers and everything in between. For the peppers, I mostly focus on countries of origin and types that are used daily for cooking in the traditional dishes of the cultures. I started most of the peppers back in early February and I have a couple hundred all ready above soil and doing rather well.

It's going to be a busy season!!! I don't anticipate much free time this spring/summer/fall, but that is exactly how I like it.

Last edited by TheUrbanFarmer; March 8, 2016 at 01:23 PM.
TheUrbanFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote