View Single Post
Old June 21, 2009   #25
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

chalstonsc, I grow 80% of my tomatoes in 5-7 gal containers. As long as your containers are a light color so they reflect the sunlight you shouldn't have any problems other than keeping them watered. A drip system would be best but if you manually water your plants as I do then you would need to water in the morning and again in the afternoon. On some of my plants I use 26qt styrofoam ice chests and they work very well. They insulate the growing medium and seem to hold the moisture a little better.
Shade won't hurt and as long as you get a minimum 5-6 hours direct sunlight a day you will be OK. Depending on where in the yard my plants are in they get anywhere from 5-12 hours of sun a day.
If the mycorrhizae are established in the growing medium it can take temperatures up to 90 deg F for short periods of time. If the plants were recently inoculated and the mycorrhizae are not established yet the temperature should not exceed 80 deg F. in the growing medium.
It might be a good Idea to get a soil thermometer and check the temperature swing during the course of the day so you know exactly whats going on inside the container. Ami
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_0269.jpg (273.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_0270.jpg (249.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_0267.jpg (274.0 KB, 9 views)