View Single Post
Old July 30, 2016   #18
Calcat36
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by swellcat View Post
Glad to know I'm not the only one. My guess is that one needs to have an artesian well or live on the banks of a river or on the edge of a rain forest in order to plump out that wet flesh.
I never had any luck growing peppers in our family garden since I was 5 years old. Fast forward a few hundred years and I have my own garden. Lots of things except peppers, and many different tomatoe (lol) plants. While at Wally world one day, i see a Bonnie habanero plant that i reluctantly buy thinking it was the poor plants death sentence. It was. It flowered a lot and produced nothing. Somehow I brought it in for the winter to sit near herbs on the bay window. (I knew nothing about over wintering) It looked like 3 sticks in the pot. The following April i just set it out on the south side of my house and about 2 months later it became Godzilla. I just fed it once in a while with fish ferts. I had that plant for 3 years and looking back, that was the one that taught me how to care for peppers!

2 years after that I started about 12 Chinese giant seeds during January indoors. ONE germinated. I scoffed.

That summer I had the first ever giant green and red bells that I grew from seed myself. The curse was broken! In the end, I realized that all plants are the same and as foolish as this may sound, they will let you know what they need. I also learned that being active in a community like this will show just how much we as gardeners/growers are the same. Same doubts, questions, problems, interest, excitement, and PRIDE we have in nurturing nature.

After that Bonnie Habanero, I was bitten by the heat bug. I have grown many hot and super hot pepper varieties and I can conclude one thing. Peppers are temperamental and attention hogs more than water and nutrients. Complement them every once in a while and see how they thank you back!

I only wish that i had the smarts to take pictures back then...

Happy growing!
Calcat36 is offline   Reply With Quote