View Single Post
Old May 25, 2013   #23
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Just now getting around to read the comments about CHOCOLATE STRIPES. I saved seed from it last year from a fruit given me. I didn't know much about it and now that I read that my creation..SCHIMMEIG CREG....was involved somehow in the pedigree, I had to make a comment or two.

I thought that one of my striped tomatoes was involved but I doubt if a pink tomato was the other parent, one just doesn't get brown/black/chocolate from that source. Crossing a Schimmeig Creg with another brown/black or a green flesh tomato would come up with that coloring that Chocolate Stripes has. The other fact about the striping is that I feel that most of the improved striping of tomatoes came from a single collection I made in Ames, Iowa in the 1960's. The striping of that collection was not good by today's standards and it was improved through the many crosses and recombinations that I made to fix the trait. This improved striping exists in the early varieties I created...Green Zebra, Schimmeig Stoo, Elberta Girl, etc.

thanks to Heike and Reinhard 2006 Gartentagbuch

Schimmeig Creg was bred for the beauty and firmness and was designed to be a canning tomato on the family farm near Lancaster, Kansas. The flavor was from a selection from the USDA, or make that the seemingly lack of flavor. It was still good enough for what our family needing in canning whole tomatoes, juicing and ketchup. I also was after a type of mechanical harvest friendly tomato....jointless pedicels, thick walls, few locules.....etc.

A cross I would like to make soon is one between Chocolate Stripes and Chocolate Blues..which is unrelated but a chocolate colored stripe with blue shoulders.

Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote