View Single Post
Old October 4, 2012   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyc View Post
It's a SunGold F1 and a six foot branch on one plant produces larger than normal fruits. I grew 120 plants and this branch/stem is the only one that produced fruits of this size, up to 1.25" in diameter. I think my chances of reproducing it will be better with cuttings than seeds. I don't see any evidence of any disease so I'll take my chances. I've done very little work with tissue culture but might even give that a shot if results are good.
YOu grew 120 plants of Sungold F1? I don't read every thread but can I assume you're commercial or have a CSA?

OK, so one branch with the same colored fruits but of a larger size.

Reinhard Kraft in Germany has done the most work with Sungold F1 in terms of trying to dehybridize it to the OP state.

So he's released:

Sungold Select
Sungold Select II

His friend Manfred Hahm was sent two selections which were named:

Big Sungold
Big Sungold Select

And I've been offering that last one in my annual seed offer here but it still isn't quite geneticall stable, but does have a much larger size, yes, in the 1- 1/2 inch range.

Lee Goodwin, whose website is J and L Seeds, can find in the Seed and Plant Source Forum has also been working with Sungold F1 and trying to get OP versions and Lee posts here at Tville. In my last seed offer I offered seeds of his Ambrosia and at his website he offers the orange and pink and red versions of those.

By taking cuttings off that one branch as has been said, is vegetative cloning, which is the same as working with tissue culture, but I don't think I know of anyone who has been or is vegetatively setting up tomato tissue monoculture or if it would even work, as one would for African Violets for instance, and the latter is done by those who are commercial.

If you take a cutting which will give you just one plant to start with, what's your game plan in terms of going forard from there. I mean for your own interest and use, or what?

You might want to grow out at some time Big Sungold and Big Sungold Select to compare with what you have.

Hope that helps.