View Single Post
Old January 10, 2019   #19
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

The beds are 4'x18' with removable ends so I can zip the tiller through the bed if really needed for incorporating stuff. I usually just loosen the soil with the broadfork.

The beds are made with regular 2x8's ( two 8'ers and two 10'ers per side and one 8' cut in half for the ends. The sides and ends are held in place on the outside with 17" long pieces of 1/2" pvc pipe so that, if ever needed, the bed can be easily disassembled and reassembled elsewhere. 17" length lets me get 7 "pins" per 10' length of pipe with no waste.

Except for the corn (which is watered with an overhead fan sprinkler affixed to the top of a step ladder) I pretty much water by hand at the base of the plants with a water wand.

It takes about an hour to water everything by hand when the garden is in full tilt boogie mode but I don't mind. While "visiting" with the plants I can give them a good look-over and spot any developing problems (bugs, disease, etc) really early and deal with them.

This past summer the peppers weren't doing so well until I put soaker hose to them as a last resort. Bingo. So I'll do that from the get-go this year. And maybe on a few other things too. Trying to figure how to hook soaker hose to several beds at once without it laying on the ground between beds and blocking the mower. Maybe an underground pvc between beds that pops up inside the beds.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote