View Single Post
Old September 26, 2013   #21
emcd124
Tomatovillian™

For me when it matures fully, as shown in my photos above, it no longer has the green shoulders. I thought it had a good balance of flavor but I would not call it particularly acidic nor particularly sweet. For reference it was definitely less sour/zippy than Rutgers, a popular benchmarker. Its productivity and disease resistance during a mediocre growing season really makes it a standout for me.

Though I would agree with Tormato that the tomatoes produced during the wettest part of the summer were bland, and had some cracking issues, but those produced during moderate watering were very good, particularly given its other characteristics. In a summer in which my Cherokee Purple, KBX, and Gold Medal all just sat there and did nothing, each producing only about four tomatoes by this point, I have harvested well over a dozen SNFLA each in the 16-20 oz range. Its neighboring plants are now heavily under the spell of septoria, and it still has very few spots on it. So far this is the only one I am certainly growing again next year.
emcd124 is offline   Reply With Quote