View Single Post
Old September 16, 2021   #26
D.J. Wolf
Tomatovillian™

All I can say at this point is what a challenging year this has been! I don't think I've ever had the issues with plants that I've had this year! First, the low notes:

1. Pumpkins. Terrible crop. I have 1...count it 1 pumpkin as we speak. All the vines have died from something. There were 2, one rotted on the vine AFTER it was fully orange.
2. Zucchini. Maybe my biggest disappointment. Heavy rains set in this year in July, and the powdery mildew took the zucchini out in a big hurry. I got a whole 3 zucchini.
3.Spinach. Too hot. Way too hot early, it just bolted and went to seed.
4. Oninons. Where did the onions go. They were growing great, nice and tall, and then suddenly I can't even find them!
5. Corn. Let me tell you, nothing makes you feel like a failure more than not being able to grow good sweet corn in Illinois! Mine was very poor this year, to the point that I don't know if I'll even bother with taking up the room next year.

Positives:
1. Potatoes. Although a lack of moisture and me not getting as much water on them as I should have led to early dry down and small tubers, they did pretty well. And the flavor is so much better than store bought I think.
2. Lettuce. First crop of lettuce brought me gallon after gallon of lettuce.
3. Tomatoes. Both pluses and minuses here, but overall a decent year. Managed to make up and can around 20 quarts of salsa even. Cherry tomatoes have been wonderful all year
4. Jalapenos. Other than the ones used for salsa, and the one's I've cooked with, I've actually had and continue to have jalapenos to share with friends.
5. Green Beans. I saved the best for last. If I was looking for a go to veggie that is fairly easy to take care of, and that I've proven I can grow this year, it would be the green beans. The first planting has put out over 30 pints of beans. Second planting is now picking up, and has already put out 7 or 8 pints. The surprising thing is that I always thought that bush beans were supposed to do 3 or 4 good pickings of beans and then be done. Well, the Blue Lakes have proven that wrong this year. These beans refuse to stop producing at least some beans. I have been picking weekly, and just today picked probably another pint to pint and a half off these worn out plants. I've decided that I am leaving whatever is still on the plants to dry down and try to save for next years seed.