View Single Post
Old December 7, 2019   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Open up the inside by getting rid of some of the shoots coming out and any branches the rub against each other.
Fig trees can get huge and live almost forever.
I wont even tell how big some of them I have seen are.
One in Bend Texas is reported to have been planted by my grandfather over 100 years ago.
I have no proof of this just hearsay.
Here is information on it from a link I will post.
I posted my recommendations before I found the link.

Fig Pruning - Pruning is recommended only during the initial years. Trees should be trained according to use of fruit, such as a low crown for fresh-market figs. Since the crop is borne on terminals of previous year's wood, once the tree form is established, avoid heavy winter pruning, which causes loss of the following year's crop. If a mature tree has died back during a cold winter the following spring will bring many new shoots and we have found it good practice to thin these out to all but 10-12 stems. Further thinning (of the now bush like plant) will help improve access, air circulation and will result in fewer but higher quality fruits. We remove any mature stems that are touching each other or appear crowded.
Fig branches and leaves contain a milky sap that is irritating to human skin so when pruning and harvesting it's good to wear gloves.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...lynkJ6432yPsMM
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote