View Single Post
Old January 23, 2016   #6
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
I am in a bit of a kerfuffle with the author of the previous (and huge selling) straw bale book - no details beyond he made it clear to me on another place that all I did was "buy his book, read it, and steal it for my own - and that if I had integrity, I would have turned my publisher down and not signed the contract to write it, because a perfectly good book was already out there".

It raises something interesting I am learning in this garden writin' business. It is a mine field. People are really protective of their areas of expertise. Of course, if the whole thing of turf is extrapolated, we'd have very, very few books out there. We who write are there to teach, coach, inspire. Every person to tackles a subject should be able to evolve it forward as we learn more, and as writers share their own particular experiences. Or, at least that's the ideal as I think it should be. Silly me!
I haven't read your new one yet Craig, but it's on my list. I love Epic tomatoes and have re-read parts many times. Admittedly straw bale gardening seems interesting, but I'm good with my raised beds/buckets so it's not as high on my list as it would be for others wanting to go down that route.

Good luck with dodging mines, sounds like the other author has some self-insecurity issues. It kind of sounds like scientific research territorial stuff like I've dealt with in my career.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote