View Single Post
Old August 18, 2017   #5
bower
Tomatovillian™

Svalli, I'm with you 100% that hardnecks are the ones worth growing in the north.

Our softnecks this year were small: many plants were weak and there were a lot of misses. They just didn't recover well from the harsh winter. At first I thought it was just my own planting or some mistake I made, perhaps gave them less mulch. But the story at my friend's farm was the same. Lots of small softneck, not many large, and quite a few lost. In mine the wireworm damage was also close to 95% of bulbs, much more than the other varieties.

The hardneck in contrast had almost no misses.
Our porcelains are the earliest and they did fantastic this year, were not at all bothered by the late spring and really took advantage of the hot dry summer.

I am still undecided about the other varieties I'm growing, which are later.
Our rocambole Spanish Roja is IMO a bit too late. Three weeks later than the porcelain, the weather is already turning rainy by the time. I would like to find a rocambole that is earlier, although it's not doing too badly.
Persian Star and Chesnok Red are nice but so late, their chance of maturing in a bad year is pretty poor.
Kostyn's Red Russian I grew up from rounds this year and was pretty early to scape and mature. It could be as early as the porcelain or close to it; so I hope it does well in all ways.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote