View Single Post
Old August 14, 2019   #11
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

What are Rio Grande like? I have grown Roma, San Marzano, some other paste types for sauce but the taste was not worth a second season.

I use Big Beef for the reliable output and good flavor, but they are a wettish tomato for sauce compared to pastes. Next year I'm thinking about more of the little ones I grow...they taste good too and put out a thicker sauce than Big Beef, but I'm really not certain on the overall production per plant as yet.

For sauce I do one first run through the victorio(cold press, spots removed, quartered if necessary) then at the end run the mash through my Champion Juicer one time. That gets pretty much all of it. But it is an all day affair cooking down, adding everything else, and canning at pizza sauce consistency. The first pick of big beef (6-1/2 10x20 trays) + another tray of heirlooms yielded 14 qts of finished sauce. Today's 5 trays looks like it will be 8-9 qts. That should be plenty, then on to soup which I haven't canned for a couple years, and I want to do some roasted sauce too. Last year I did chili sauce and salsa so I'm good there for another year I think.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote