View Single Post
Old August 13, 2019   #3
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

I had the bug and ran into a similar problem a few years back with florida weaving various tomatoes. The weave height was always different between them, so it was always more struggle than it should have been. I wouldn't say that they ripened that far apart, though, not here. Still, I have taken to growing a group of big beefs for sauce/canning. An hour ago I picked them for the second time this season. The plants look rough though, it has been so dry and hot the last month and don't know how much more I'll get out of them. Everybody thinks they look great but I'm looking at them thinking, yeah, great now, but won't be much left in two weeks. I also use a little red one that's real thick walled and stays red for a long time on the vine without falling off. Excess heirlooms will get canned but mostly we eat them in sandwiches.

I have had very little waste, due to the dryness, but I think the overall yield was low. So many failed flowers after the third trusses. I grew cuostralee for the first time in a while and they are really nice. The one going to the chopping block is over 2 lb and there have been a bunch of them off at that size or bigger. This is the first I've weighed.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote